Saturday, September 4, 2010

Red and White Cauliflower Bake and "Taste like doughnuts" Muffins


My sister told me about these muffins and since I am a doughnut lover, I asked for the recipe right away! I veganized it of course and I must say pretty darn fabulous!! They really do taste like cinnamon and sugar cake doughnuts. They are delicious warm or at room temperature. Yummmm!

Another Vegan Yum Yum recipe - Red and White Cauliflower Bake - quite yummy and a pretty good main dish. I wasn't sure my husband would enjoy this dish but thought I would give it a try - he isn't much for just having a veg casserole as the main dish, he likes something a little more substantial that includes something like seitan, tempeh, Gardein etc. He actually loved this dish and was very pleased with it. I was excited! It was quite tasty and fairly simple. There were several steps involved but all very simple.

“Taste like doughnuts” Muffins
 1-¾ cups Flour
 1-½ teaspoon Baking Powder
 ½ teaspoons Salt
 ½ teaspoons Nutmeg
 ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
 ⅓ cup Oil
 ¾ cup White Sugar
 Substitute for 1 egg
 ¾ cups almond milk

 FOR THE TOPPING:
 ¼ cups Butter
 ⅓ cups White Sugar
 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
Preparation Instructions
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Combine oil, sugar, egg and milk. Add dry ingredients and stir only to combine.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl. Combine the white sugar with the cinnamon in another bowl.
Shake muffins out while still hot. Dip muffins in butter, then into the sugar/cinnamon mix. Let cool.

Red and White Cauliflower Bake (Source: Vegan Yum Yum)
Simple Marinara
1 tbsp vegan margarine or olive oil
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
2 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 vegetable stock cube or 1/2 tsp salt

Directions 1. Heat margarine or oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the herbs and sauté for a minute or two, being careful not to burn them. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and stock or salt. Simmer until the sauce is the consistency you like, about 10 minutes. Since the sauce is going on top of the bake, you might want to cook it a bit longer than you usually would so it is not watery. A thicker sauce works best.

Herbed Tofu Ricotta
400g packet of firm tofu, well pressed and crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water (this helps the tofu set so leave out if using the herbed ricotta for another recipe)

Directions 1. Mix all the ingredients together. This mixture can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator. If making in advance leave the cornstarch and water mixture out until ready to assemble in the bake.

White SauceIngredients
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp salt
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Directions 1. Whisk the margarine in a saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and whisk into a paste. Add the tahini, mustard and nutritional yeast and whisk well. Slowly add the soy milk, whisking well to make a smooth sauce. Add salt and pepper and whisk over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened. If you have made this in advance and wish to use it later just reheat before assembly so the cauliflower can get nicely smothered.

Remaining Ingredients
4 cups cauliflower, chopped small and steamed
1 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 2 T vegan margarine, 1 t salt and 1 t dried Italian herbs

Directions 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. 2. Place the tofu ricotta in an oiled 1.5 litre casserole/baking dish - shallow and long works better than deep and narrow. Press it down to make an even layer. 3. Mix the cauliflower into the white sauce, coating well. Spread it over the tofu in an even layer. Add the Marinara Sauce on top of the cauliflower, top with bread crumbs and bake for 20 to 25 mins until bubbly and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crispy Herbed Potato Stack

Crispy Herbed Potato Stack
I was going to try a recipe for herbed scalloped potatoes and at last minute decided to do something fast and easy. I made up the recipe and it was yummola! I layered sliced russet potatoes in a baking dish, drizzled with olive oil, and then sprinkled with coarse sea salt, fresh ground pepper, basil, rosemary, paprika, and garlic powder. Then I baked them at 425 fr about 45 minutes. They were crisp and very flavorful!

My thrown-together salad today - after discovering I had no leftovers for lunch!

Tamale Fixings

Tamale Fixings
Plain pintos (for Keith), pintos, corn and onions; corn, jalepenos and Daiya; mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and chard

Making these was a bit time-consuming but kinda fun! They didn't turn out as good as I had hoped - the outer tamale part (not the filling) just wasn't as flavorful as tamales I have had in restaurants. I have another recipe I will try for the dough next time. Tamales are one of my favorite foods so I won't give up on this one!

"Buttermilk" Blueberry Pancakes

"Buttermilk" Blueberry Pancakes
I modified one of my favorite pancake recipes to make it vegan and then I added blueberries. Turned out quite yummy. Soymilk sours and thickens well - very similar to buttermilk. I have been really impressed with it's ability to substitute for real buttermilk.

"Buttermilk" Blueberry Pancakes

Egg replacement for 1 egg
1 1/4 cups soured soy milk (put 2 T vinegar into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add enough soy milk to equal 1 1/4 cups)
2 T canola oil
1 cup flour (I wouldn't recommend whole wheat or whole wheat pastry - it really takes away from the fluffiness of these pancakes)
1 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
Blueberries, optional

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Heat griddle pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Sprinkle blueberries on pancakes after ladling onto griddle. Cook just until golden on both sides.

Veggie and Seitan Lo Mein

Veggie and Seitan Lo Mein
Overall, this was fabulous! However, I don't think the seitan added much so I would just leave it out next time. The lo mein also needed about double the sauce so I would simply do that next time for added flavor. This was especially spicy and yummy with some Sriracha drizzled on top. I made our favorite veg egg rolls to go with this and it was truly a Chinese treat!!

Veggie Seitan Lo Mein

I really did my own thing for this recipe so I am just going to outline the instructions and include the sauce recipe. I heated oil in a large skillet and added 3 minced cloves of garlic and about 1 cup of half-moon cut onions (I was out of green onions but next time I would use green onions as I like them a lot in Chinese food) and about 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots. After about 5-6 minutes, I added about 1/4 lb of whole green beans. I cooked these veggies until tender. Meanwhile, I cooked a 16oz package of chow mein noodles. Once the veggie mixture was cooked, I poured the sauce on the veggies, heated through and tossed with the noodles. Next time I would double the amount of sauce and have adjusted amounts below to reflect double recipe.

Sauce (Source:Adaptable Feast)
3 T soy sauce
3 T rice wine (I used 3 T rice vinegar and 1 t sugar as I didn't have any rice wine)
3 t sugar
4 T black bean garlic sauce
Mix all ingredients and toss with above mixture.





Chinese Broccoli Wontons in Ginger Soy Broth

Chinese Broccoli Wontons in Ginger Soy Broth
Pretty yummy. I found that steaming the wontons worked much better than the recipe suggestion to boil them. The broth was very mild and a bit too mellow for us. Still pretty yummy though. I added extra veggies to the wontons and scallion to the broth. The seasoning in the wonton filling was quite tasty!

Chinese Broccoli Wontons in Ginger Soy Broth (Source: Vegan Yum Yum)

(As usual, I modified several things so it's not exactly the recipe in Vegan Yum Yum!)

1 cup chopped broccoli
3/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 T oil
1 t fresh ginger, minced
1 clove fresh minced garlic
1/2 t hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
1 t hot Chinese mustard
2 T plus 1 t soy sauce
4 cups water ( I think this might have been more flavorful had I used vegetable broth or faux chicken broth???)
6 slices fresh ginger
1 T mirin (I used a splash of cooking wine as I didn't have mirin)
1 1/2 t sugar
2 t rice vinegar
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup chopped scallions
16 wonton skins

For filling: Heat oil in skillet and add broccoli, ginger, garlic, carrot, onion and cook until veggies are crisp tender. Add chili sauce, mustard, 1 t soy sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.

To make wontons, take one skin and place in diamond shape. Fill with 1-2 t filling. Fold in half to make a triangle and moisten edges with water and pinch sides to seal. Set triangle in front of you with point up and take the 2 side points and bring them together in front to cross. Set aside and prepare remaining wontons. When finished, place wontons in a steamer basket and steam over pot of boiling water until translucent.

Meanwhile, in a pot, combine remaining ingredients (except wontons) and simmer 10-15 min.

Place 3-4 wontons in bowl and ladle broth over wontons. Serve.